Elder abuse is an ever-growing concern in today’s society. Sometimes, we see the warning signs but are reluctant to take actions, at other times, we are unaware of this vice that keeps devastating the wellbeing of our beloved old ones. At certain points and for some peculiar reasons, many families move their elderly parents or relatives into a nursing home.
In these nursing homes, older adults can have easy access to good health care services and personal assistance. It is the responsibility of staff in these nursing facilities to ensure the wellbeing of our loved ones. Sadly, this is not the case for some nursing homes where the elderly are being abused and taken advantage of.
Hiring A Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
For residents in Oklahoma City that have old persons who have been victims of abuse or neglect in care homes, hiring an Oklahoma City, OK nursing home abuse lawyer would be a right call towards fighting such injustice and claiming rightful compensation. No elderly person deserves to be abused or neglected.
Once you notice any of your loved ones being treated unfairly by the staff of a nursing home, get in touch with a professional lawyer immediately. By doing so, you will have a higher chance of holding the organization accountable and get financial compensation on your old buddy’s behalf.
Roles Of A Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
An experienced nursing home abuse lawyer can take the following actions:
- Listen to your story, after which the lawyer will evaluate the details of your claim.
- Take prompt action to prevent further harm to your loved one.
- Help you get medical assistance if needed.
- Work with other professionals clearly proves negligence on the part of the nursing facility and its effect on your loved one’s life.
- Provide excellent legal representation with no upfront fee until there is compensation.
- Communicate with you effectively throughout the process.
Many of these law firms provide free consultations to individuals. Hiring a Del City nursing home abuse lawyer can save your loved ones from being maltreated.
What To Do About Elder Abuse And Neglect
If you suspect that your older loved one is in any form of danger stemming from abuse or neglect, report the abuse to appropriate authorities and get a lawyer. Here are some steps to guide you.
- If your loved one is in immediate danger, do not hesitate to call 911 for emergency assistance to prevent further harm.
- Report the case to the facility’s management as well, starting with a verbal report before documenting it.
- Report the abuse or neglect of your loved one to the Adult Protective Services as well.
- Document the state of your loved one’s condition, including factors that may have contributed to his or her abuse.
- Contact a nursing home abuse attorney that will help move your loved one out of the nursing home.
Signs Of Abuse To Look Out For
Abuses can be in various forms – physical, mental, or emotional. Do not hesitate to contact a lawyer if you notice the following:
- Physical injuries
- Untreated illnesses
- Pressure ulcers/wounds/bed sores
- Torn, soiled, or bloodied clothing or bedding
- Unexplained sexual transmitted diseases
- Broken personal property
- Restraint marks around arms, wrists, chests, or ankles
- Poor hygiene, and many more
Emotional abuse may be difficult to detect on time. For this reason, you need to keep a close eye on the wellbeing of your loved one.